Shoe shopping yesterday just about killed me. The 4 yr old wanted not-practical, fancy, ivory shoes with a heel. I wanted her to get new sneakers. I lost a little bit of my life….
Hair Brushing and Shit
I just dropped my daughter off to preschool. As I walked out the door, she ran into her teacher’s arms and cried. I watched for a few minutes as she covered her eyes and was rocked back and forth. Not how I wanted to start my day. Although my day started at 4….
Prior to drop off, I listened to my daughter scream at the top of her lungs for me to turn around because she needed her toy microphone and Easter bunny. “Mommy please just turn around. Just please.” We weren’t turning around. So for the entire ride I listened to her scream, beg, cry, and then apologize for her behavior. I cycled right along with her from reasoning, to yelling, to reasoning again, and finally sympathy. She’s having a bad day and I know it’s because today is a school day.
And because unlike most mornings, she was up at 5. Wanting mommy and mommy only. This meant no running, some TV, and a few more ZZZZs. Typical of most mornings, she wouldn’t let me brush her hair. She cried and rolled around on the ground to prevent me from touching it. I’ve been criticized for not getting all the knots out- “because mothers should make that a priority.” But I do try. I just don’t want to hog tie my child in order to do so.
…I’m sitting in my car after a horrible 1.5 mile run. I can picture her little, sad face. I know she’s playing now, but I still want to get her and snuggle her. And whisper in her ear, “I threw out all the hair brushes.”
How can I possibly be expected to do homework when the sun is making an appearance today?? It’s not my fault. I blame Mother Nature.
Bullet Points and Easter
- I am retiring “Did You Know Thursdays” for awhile. I’ll have some nursing stuff to share soon, but right now I’ve got senioritis.
- Today in lab I learned how to take someone’s blood pressure. Much easier than I thought, even though we had old lab equipment.
- People think of me as a runner, yet I feel so out of shape. I need to be out running EVERYDAY and I’m not doing it. My friend M has amazing “drive” and is out there all the time. I can’t get out of park. Sigh…
- Lent is almost over and I pretty much followed my “only check facebook once a day” amended sacrifice. I’m going to try to keep that going.
- The sugar detox is over. I’m all out of sorts and feel like a failure. Sorry Wu Tang, but chocolate rules everything around me….
- I need to get back on the wagon, so if someone wants to detox with me, I’m in! Anyone???
- We have no Easter plans this year. None. I don’t even have baskets made up. Why can’t the Easter Bunny be real!!!
- Today I teased my A&P teacher when she said “the baby is in the belly.” No it’s not! That’s gross. (I’m such a nerd.)
- Speaking of being a nerd…I find that I’m giving my children scientific explanations for what’s going on in their bodies when they feel sick or get hurt and I absolutely love it. I am so comfortable with absolute facts.
- Do you think there are bands/singers everyone should love? Like The Beatles, Billy Joel, The Rolling Stones, U2…. Someone on the radio today said he didn’t like The Beatles. Wait..what?
- On the way to class today, I blasted DMX “Party Up” and rapped like a mom.